A wedding dress is a once-in-a-lifetime purchase…well, most of the time, haha, but when the big day or days are over, it’s essential to know how to take care and store a wedding dress in storage properly.
Keeping in the same condition as you had it on that day takes time. Here are a few hints to help you store it with care-
- Get your dress professionally dry cleaned before you plan on storing it. Taking the time to dry clean your dress will remove any odor that might linger over the years. When adequately done, it will also take care of any food stains from the wedding dinner!
- When it is finally time to store a wedding dress you need to find a quality storage facility. This is key for the longevity of your dress. It is vital to store it in a climate-controlled storage unit. When you store it in a facility like that you greatly reduce the humidy and alsos the heat during the summer months. If you are storing your dress in winter, the store is heated, similiar to your home or place of work. Remember, humidity and heat are the enemies.
- Find a quality dress bag to store it in. This bag needs to be breathable and not your standard trash bag! They even sell specific wedding dress boxes. BTW, they do not sell these at Home Depot!
- If you plan on storing it in a quality box, make sure to use acid-free tissue paper between the layers of the dress to prevent any yellowing.
- If you do these steps while storing your dress in self storage, you will be able to enjoy it for years to come, and who knows, you might be able to pass it on to future generations!
Check out a few other of our ideas